Being found on Google when people are looking for your product or service should be a business priority. Google My Business is a free listing available to business owners of every business type. There are several steps that we recommend for everyone to update today, to optimize your business listing with Google. Here are just a few reasons why.
- The average business is found in 1,009 searches each month with a Google My Business page
- 84% of business are found from what are called discovery searches, meaning users are searching based on keywords and phrases
- 16% of businesses get more than 100 calls a month from their Google My Business page.
- business gets 59 actions from their GMB listing every month (an action is a click, a call or map view of your business listing)
Google is still the world’s #1 search engine. People don’t even refer to it as a search engine anymore, they say “let’s Google it.” At this point Google is synonymous with searching and when you utilize the free tools they give you it can be a powerful business tool.
Steps to setting up your Google My Business Listing
STEP #1 Get your business verified.
- Go to Google and search your business by name
- Claim your listing
- Request your verification code
- Enter your verification code
STEP #2 Update your profile information
Under the information tab on the left hand side of your Google My Business Listing you can edit your business hours, your location information ( NOTE you do not need to provide a physical address that is visible on your listing just the city and state information.)
In this section you can also identify your service areas. If you have multiple locations it is a good idea to have a separate Google My Business Page for each physical location.
STEP #3 Add Pictures to your Google My Business Listing
Profiles with pictures get more clicks. In fact, listings with photos are 2x as likely to be considered reputable and get 35% more clicks. The average number of pictures on a Google My Business listings is 11 photos.
It is important to note that Google will pick the pictures that they use to promote your business so make sure you are OK with everything that you upload to be shown as your first image on your business listing.
STEP #4 Create your Business Categories for your Google My Business Listing.
To update the categories you use to describe your business:
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- If you have multiple locations, open the location you want to manage.
- Next to your primary category, click Edit .
- To edit your primary category: Select your new category.
- To add another category: Click Add another category. Then, select the category you want to add.
- After you make your changes, click Apply.
(NOTE: If you add or edit one of your existing categories, you may be asked to verify your business again. This helps Google confirm that your business information is accurate.)
STEP#5 Get Reviews
Did you know that 90% of people read reviews before purchasing from you? The Google My Business listings with great reviews actually get more clicks. How do you get more reviews? Follow these quick steps to copy your link review URL and send it to your clients.
- Search for your business on Google.
- In the right of your business search results, click the button ‘Write Review’
- Copy the URL from the top browser address bar.
STEP #6 Develop Your Content
When businesses post to their Google My Business listing they are more likely to gain conversions from the content that they post. On average this translates to 5% of the total views for the business profile. More importantly however, of those views they convert on average 59 actions (clicks) from their listing alone every month.
You can also see how many clicks you get on your content posted to Google My Business in your dashboard.
Step #7 Add Products and Services
One of the most powerful options that Google My Business Gives business owners is the ability to create products and services and link them directly to pages on their website. For instance, Elizabeth Ink LLC offers Product Photography and Videography work. I have added these as Products that we produce for clients on my Google My Business Page.
You can add products and services under the ” Products” tab on the left hand side of the page.
Google My Business works as a quick dashboard for your business in the SERP short for search engine results page, SERP is the single page that search engines serve in response to a user’s search query. The more information you can offer about your business the more often your business will come up when people are searching for you. It is important to note that your Google My Business page is seperate from Google Map results.
As we have always advocated, Google rewards users for using the free tools that they provide. Google My Business is no different. It is an organic way to be found in the first page of the search engine results. It is a must for any business owner and should be used regularly for posting specials, events, pictures, asking for reviews and updating your operating hours.
Do you need help? CONTACT US